While what your parents said is true (it’s what’s inside that counts), when you look good on the outside, you show the world that you care about yourself. With the advances in plus-sized Canadian fashion, you no longer have to feel forgotten.
1. Do not get so focused on the number on the size tag that you forget about fit. You do not want to be remembered as the girl whose buttons puckered, but as the girl with that great shirt!
2. Many women find themselves in-between plus-sized and regular-sized clothing (at the low end of the plus size meter, yet not quite ready for ultra-low rise jeans). If this is you, do not be afraid to visit plus size stores. No one sees the tag in the clothing but you and your dry cleaner.
3. Research online before you head out to save time and energy.
4. If you aren’t sure what looks good on you, ask the sales clerk for help – that’s why she is there.
5. Do not be afraid of colour. Colour is the easiest way to add a trend to your wardrobe. Since some retailers are slow to recognize that plus-size consumers want to look stylish too, by the time trends come out in your size, they are on the way out. To participate in current trends now, choose simple pieces that are readily available. Pick up a lime-green tank to wear under that crisp white shirt–you get your trendy boost of colour without spending a lot of money. Or, accessorize with a trendy jelly Kelly bag and designer sunglasses.
6. Accessorize. For a woman of size, accessories can be one’s best ally. Shoes, purses, earrings, necklaces, bracelets or scarves can add flare to your outfit, and make you look polished. Proper hair and make-up can flatter your face shape and highlight your skin tone, or the right glasses can help accentuate any look. Hairstyle and colour know no size discrimination.
7. If you can’t find belts or cotton shirts that fit you in the women’s section, check out the men’s department for these great wardrobe basics.
8. The old advice “do not wear prints” is antiquated and completely false. Choose flattering smaller prints over larger prints that distract from the beauty you have to offer. You want people to notice you, not the flowers on your skirt.
9. Comfort does not always mean sweat pants and baggy shirts. Many clothing lines now offer stretchier fabrics for added comfort.
10.Get out there and try things on! You will be amazed at what combinations you can create when you explore the plus-sized fashion frontier.
Where to Shop
- Reitman’s Canadian division (www.reitmans.ca) offers three lines of fashion for women of size. Reitman’s Encore 14+ line, casual and professional clothes. Check the store often for markdowns - you won’t be disappointed. Pennington’s offers a PS Club Advantage program where you earn a $25 gift certificate every time you accumulate $500 in purchases and Addition-Elle has a line of lingerie that is sure to make you feel sexy.
- Style icons such as Liz Claiborne (Elisabeth) and Ralph Lauren (Lauren) offer designer solutions to plus size shopping.
- US retailer Lane Bryant (www.lanebryant.com) offers a wide array of clothing types at reasonable prices.
- Visit Old Navy’s Web site (www.oldnavy.com) for “Fuller Figure Favourites.” .
- Winners offers a great selection of plus-sized clothing at affordable prices you’ll love.